Monday, May 14, 2007

Camille's List and Reviews

Over the past few months, I've been developing this interest in dystopian and post-apocalyptic fiction. I can't remember what triggered it, but as I think about it, I think it was watching the movie Waterworld and realizing that I had liked the movie The Postman as well, and that maybe I'd like to see more movies or read more books in this vein. And then I read The Giver and I was hooked. I read the next two books that go along with it and then someone recommended Z for Zachariah which I absolutely loved. Now I'm really hooked. Dystopians and post-apocalyptics are not necessarily of the same genre, but often they go hand-in-hand because the dystopia results from some kind of war-like upheaval, whether almost completely decimated like in The Postman or a violent and extreme government takeover like in The Handmaid's Tale. So that's why I'm reading both.

Here is my review of The Postman.

Here is my review of A Canticle for Leibowitz.

Here's my list:

1. A Canticle for Leibowitz
2. The Postman
3. The Handmaid's Tale (in progress, can't put it down)
4. The Road
5. Fahrenheit 451
6. maybe Children of Men because I didn't like the movie and figure the book must be better

2 comments:

Michelle Fluttering Butterflies said...

I couldn't put down The Handmaid's Tale when I read it either!

Jen Robinson said...

I just re-read The Handmaid's Tale, and also couldn't put it down. I'll write about it soon.